CHBR were featured in the Halifax Courier on Sunday 17th May 2020
The article featured Musical Director David Sunderland and Trustee Peter Fawcett as they discussed about Caldervale’s link with Hand-Bell ringing and how CHBR are trying the keep the tradition alive.
A great article and there is even a video showcasing the art of off-table “Yorkshire” Style Ringing.
If anyone would like to read the full article please click here
Another great review of a great concert with Marsh Ladies Choir which the Village Team took part in last Christmas. As posted in the Brighouse Examiner.
CHBR Village Team performing Passacaglia at this evenings concert with the Marsh Ladies Choir.
Several months of practise was all worth while last night, when the “Village” team entered the Mrs Sunderland music competition 2019 last night and were placed second in their class!
The team played two tunes “Winter” by Vivaldi and “Teddy Bears Picnic” by John Walter Bratton.
The team received some very positive comments from the Adjudicator
“This was a lovely performance in which you demonstrated some excellent ensemble playing throughout”
“You were fully aware of each others part and performed musically. A polished performance”
The Clifton Village Team will be in action at the following venues for the rest of 2017
- Friday 22nd September – Rastrick Beer Festival (19:30 – 20:30) St John’s Church Rastrick HD6 1HT
- Saturday 23rd September – Brighouse Central Methodist Church in concert with the Marsh Ladies Choir (19:30 start)
- Saturday 7th October – HRGB NE Autumn Rally and 50th Birthday celebrations – Sheffield (Further Details to Follow)
- Saturday 18th October – HRGB NE 50th Birthday Party – St Paul’s Methodist Church, Sowerby Bridge (Further Details to Follow)
- Saturday 2nd December – In concert with Stannington Brass Band – Lomas Hall Stannington S6-6DB (19:30 start)
- Saturday 9th December – In concert with Gledholt Male Voice Choir – St Paul’s Hall Huddersfield (19:30 start)
- Wednesday 13th December – In concert for Fixby WI – Fixby Golf Club, Huddersfield (19:30 start)
Why not come along and see the team in action at one of the above venues and experience the traditional art of Yorkshire “Off Table” Handbell ringers.
Saturday 3rd December 2016
The Village Ringers were in concert on Saturday 3rd December 2016 with the Huddersfield Singers at St Paul’s Hall Huddersfield.
The team played a selection of tunes from the winter repertoire alongside the carol selection from the Singers.
Everyone enjoyed the evening and we look forward to our next engagement together.
See Below for a review of the evening published in Monday 5th December Huddersfield Examiner
HRGB North East Region – Autumn Rally 2016
Central Methodist Church, Brighouse, West Yorkshire, HD6 1AQ
Saturday 29 October 2016
The Clifton Hand-Bell Ringers invite you to the NE Region Autumn Hand-Bell Rally 2016 on Saturday 29th October 2016
- Venue: Brighouse Central Methodist Church HD6 1AQ (Click for Map) (Click for Directions)
- Times: Doors Open at 09:30, Rally Starts at 10:30
- Session Timings: Session 1: 10:30 – 12:00, Session 2: 13:00 – 14:30, Session 3: 15:00 – 16:30
- The third session will have a theme of “Music from the Movies or Show” but this is not compulsory
- There is the usual standard format for the rally of three ringing sessions and some massed ringing
- Tables are available on the day from Church
- Admission: £4 per person
- Refreshments will be available all day, however no food will be provided as Brighouse has plenty of places to get food, from Fish & Chips, to Gregs, Subway and McDonald’s is a short car journey away.
For More Info or to book your team:- (Don’t forget your table dimensions!)
13 Blackburn Road
07931908551 / 01484 720254
We very much look forward to seeing you at the North East Region – Autumn Rally
After a few concerts to finish the 2015 season, the Clifton Village Team will be back and performing throughout the 2016 year.
The concerts/events page has been updated with all the latest dates, so why not come along and catchup with the team during 2016.
Clifton Village (Concert) Team
- 2nd March 2016 – Low Moor Mothers Union at 19:30.
- 5th March 2016 – Concert at Cleckheaton Methodist Church at 18:30.
- 18th March 2016 – Concert at Clifton St Johns Church with the Fixby Song Birds at 19:30.
- 29th October 2016 – HRGB NE Rally Brighouse Central Methodist Church 10:00 -17:00.
- 3rd December 2016 – Concert at St Paul’s Hall Huddersfield with the Huddersfield Singers at 19:30.
- 17th December 2016 – Concert at Brighouse Central Methodist Church with Marsh Ladies Choir.
If you would like more information about any of our concerts, or would like to book us, then please contact us
A chance mention on Facebook about Brighouse Arts Festival and the fact that Clifton Handbell Ringers would be performing in a concert led to us travelling over the M62 on a rainy Wednesday evening in late September.
The journey was well worth it as the concert, which also featured a local choir, the Fixby Songbirds, was excellent.
Clifton rang a very good selection of tunes to a very high standard and David Sunderland’s introduction and commentary about the bells and the history of the team was very informative for the nonringers in the audience, some of whom had never heard handbell ringing before.
The eight ringers rang a long-set of 140 bells in the traditional Yorkshire off-table style with the expertise and confidence that comes from having rung together as an established team for many years – four of the team have been ringing together since the mid-1970s. Conducting was done by David from the basstable, which meant that there was no conductor blocking the audience’s view of the team. In addition, music was on low-rise stands, almost flat on the table, so there was not the barrier of risers and stands between the ringers and the audience.
The opening piece was an Irish jig which increased in speed with each repetition and was a good demonstration of handling tempo changes. This was followed by a lovely gentle Italian piece called ‘I Giorni’ and the traditional ‘English Country Gardens’. The Andrew Lloyd-Webber piece ‘Close Every Door’ was next and the first half concluded with a complete contrast in ‘Pineapple Rag’.
The second half began with another Irish tune, ‘Planxty Power’, followed by ‘Duelling Banjos’ which was a delight to watch as well as listen to and involved some tricky footwork as well as skilful bell-handling skills as some of the ringers change places during the piece. Two gentler pieces followed, Tchaikovsky’s ‘Sleeping Beauty Waltz’ and ‘Memory’. The concert finished with a lovely rendition of ‘Teddy Bears’ Picnic’.
All in all, an excellent evening’s entertainment – a good varied programme of tunes with audience appeal, well rung and well presented. Thank you Clifton!
Christine and Roger Lazenby
Treble Eight Ringers